Mozilla based applications allow to create many profiles and quicky switch between them.
This is useful to test new extensions without "damage" the main profile.
When a test profile is no more necessary its directory on disk can be deleted safely.
The informations show below are applicable to
Firefox versions 1.0-1.5
Thunderbird versions 1.0-1.5
Flock versions 1.0-1.0
The new profile don't alter or damage the existing one.
Obviously the new profile must be created on a directory different from the main one
- Create a new directory where you want for example c:\test_dir
- Determine where is the firefox executable
- right click on firefox icon and choose 'Properties' menu item, the destination field
contains the path (generally c:\program files\firefox\firefox.exe)
- Now open command dos prompt
- Close any application open window (eg Firefox/Thunderbird)
- Type "c:\program files\firefox\firefox.exe" -profile c:\test_dir and press enter
- Note the quotes if path contains whitespaces (program file)
- Now a clean firefox/thunderbird is started, your bookmark and all installed extensions are not present no worry your informations are always present and accessible on your hard disk
- Install extension to test
- Close application
- Restart always as described above
- Now you can use the extension as normally
- To return to use your old setup you simply must run firefox from icon as usual matter
before obviously you must close any firefox window
- You can delete the directory c:\test_dir because our test is finished